Monday, June 29, 2009

The Beginning

So, I've decided to embark on this little blog journey. I am passionately, and sometimes obsessively, dedicated to the Montessori philosophy. I run an authentic, home-based Montessori classroom and love every minute of it. I feel blessed to be able to do what I love with my family right beside me. My husband often reminds me of how lucky I am to have found my "calling" immediately, without having to dabble in a series of unsuccessful professions. I knew this was the path for me the minute I stepped out of the public school and into the Montessori classroom.

My vision for this blog is to give parents a closer look into the classroom and to give them a better idea of what Montessori is all about. I'd also love to inspire traditional teachers to try something a little different. My goal for this upcoming school year is to better educate parents on the philosophy and to get them more involved in the classroom.





The blog's title is taken from one of Montessori's famous quotes that reminds us that the teacher is NOT the center of the classroom. People joke around about Montessori teachers being difficult to find in the classroom...it's true! He or she is typically crouched in a corner on the floor surrounded by one or two children, with her back comfortably to the class, trusting them with full faith. Letting go of the dominant, traditional "teacher" role is very difficult for newly-trained Montessorians, and continues to be a struggle for substitutes and volunteers in the classroom.

I'll be spending this summer rejuvenating the classroom, with a new arrangement and (hopefully!) some new materials. I'm hoping to start replacing some of my inexpensive shelving units with these beauties from Community Playthings. It'll be a slow process, but my plan is to eventually equipt my entire classroom with these shelves, tables and chairs. I'll post any new additions to this site.

I don't plan to post every day, but do check back often to either see what your child is doing in school or maybe to get some new ideas for your Montessori classroom.

Thanks for checking in!


1 comment:

  1. This is very exciting, the web design is just as soothing as the classroom, thanks for always thinking out of the box for our kids!

    ReplyDelete