Later, we went outside to create our own active volcano.
Build your own Baking Soda Volcano:
- 6 cups flour
- 2 cups salt
- 4 Tbsp cooking oil
- warm water
- plastic water bottle
- dishwashing detergent
- food coloring
- baking dish or pan
- 2 Tbsp baking soda
Here's what to do:
1. Mix flour, oil and 2 cups warm water. The mixture should be smooth and firm, add more water if needed.
2. Stand the bottle in the baking pan and mold the dough around it into a volcano shape. Don't cover the hole or drop dough into it.
3. Fill the bottle most of the way with warm water and some red and/or yellow food coloring.
4. Add 6 drops of detergent to the bottle.
5. Add baking soda to the liquid.
6. Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle...Eruption Time!!
In this reaction, carbon dioxide gas is produced, which is also present in real volcanoes. As the carbon dioxide is produced, pressure builds up inside the bottle, until the gas bubbles out of the "volcano".
This activity takes approximately 30 minutes from start to finish. Have fun!