Friday, September 9, 2011

Discussing the Events of 9/11 with Children

I decided not to discuss the events that occurred on September 11, 2001 with my class today.  First of all, I'm sure many parents do not feel their children are ready to discuss such tragic events.  Secondly, it was an emotional day for all of us and I'm really not sure I could keep it together.  One of my immediate family members was in the Pentagon that morning, and the emotions come flooding back whenever I think about it.  His life was saved, but many others were lost.

There are some parents; however, who feel their children are old enough (or mature enough) to handle this information.  For those brave souls, take a minute to read this article.  It's written by one of my favorite parent educators, Chick Moorman (author of the fantastic book Parent Talk). 

You can find it here:  9/11 Article

No comments:

Post a Comment