Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Budding Artists

Most Montessori teachers work hard to introduce students to Classical and Impressionistic works of art. First, we simply hang up the art in the room. Then, when a child expresses interest, we discuss the work and the child shares his thoughts. Next, we introduce the names of famous artists and the children sort artwork by artist. Personally, my students' favorites are Renoir, Seurat, Degas and Kandinsky.

However, I must admit that we generally neglect contemporary works of art. I found this great website called "Feed Your Soul- The Free Art Project" designed to introduce new works of art to a large audience. These pieces are available to download and print for free. Simply click on "downloads" to view the entire list of art. I think this one is my favorite, those owls are just so sweet:



I plan to print and frame a few to scatter around the classroom. I'm eager to discuss them with the children and even more excited to hear their conversations and critiques. I could write a book about some of the 3-year-old's conversations I've overheard. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment