Friday, August 28, 2009

Recipe for a Love of Learning

Oftentimes, new parents will ask me "What is your discipline plan?". I will explain that traditional discipline is not necessary in the Montessori classroom. Sometimes, in the beginning of the year, I may need to stand close to one child for a few moments or even bring a child with me while I conduct lessons. Some older children might choose to work alone at the peace table if they're feeling wound up or excited. But, there is never a need to raise my voice or berate a child. Parents are curious about how a group of such young children can work together peacefully with no adult interruption or punishment. This Maria Montessori quote provides us with the answer:


The child should love everything he learns. Whatever is presented to him must be made beautiful and clear. Once this love has been kindled, all problems confronting the educationalist will disappear.


A Montessori teacher kindles a love of learning through careful observation of the child's interests, through the use of a beautiful and well-prepared classroom, and in conjunction with clear and thoughtfully planned-out lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment